Seven days ago I started a new job - basically an entry-level, front desk girl position in the admissions department for a professional psychology graduate school in downtown Chicago. I'm incredibly grateful to have the job, especially after the stories I've heard about how long people are waiting in this less than ideal economy. So, please keep in mind that I am grateful for the job, the possibilities to move up in the department, even potentially to work with international students in the future.
For the past two days, though, I've been in a big slump during and after work and I think I figured out why. When I lived in China, I was the center of attention ALL THE TIME. Ironically, this is one of the things that I was most uncomfortable with and I certainly don't miss the constant stares and all-too-obvious conversations among strangers focused on me. Along with the negative attention, though, I also received a ton of positive attention: I was continually asked to be an "English expert" in various ways, I was always treated like a guest and was usually the first to be approached and befriended in a new situation. My picture was all over the city - on buses, in movie theaters, on LCD screens throughout the city, even as a life-sized cut-out in my school:
I was special, unique, different and rare.
Enter new job. I am the lowest on the totem pole, the new girl. I'm the girl who took over a work study student position so most people think I am a student and they treat me like one. I'm the girl who is totally, completely normal with nothing special to make me stand-out. I'm the girl who entered into an environment where relationships and friendships are already established. I'm the girl who sits at the front desk, which is actually in a hallway, with almost no co-worker interaction and a lot of lonely hours with only my computer to accompany me. In short, I'm just not a big deal anymore! It's a complete and total change from the last 3.5 years of my life and, I'm afraid, it's going to be one of the biggest adjustments for me.
I truly don't want to sound ungrateful because I am grateful for the position. However, I do want to share some little pieces of how reverse culture shock is affecting me.
Can anyone out there relate?
16 comments:
We miss you guys!
Hi Shannon,
You are very special!!
Looking forward to talking to you. This is just another exciting part of your journey. Thinking about everything that you were given while you were in China and see how it unfolds here.
love you
julie
Hi Shannon,
Just want to say love your blog and reading your story. I'm new 'round here and read through some of the archives.
I just returned from 2 years in China and I'm definitely struggling with the reverse culture shock, which I'm also blogging about. It's actually a relief to me to not be the center of attention, because I got a LOT. But I definitely understand what you're going through. It's weird to not have some obvious and defining characteristic anymore.
Hope your transition goes as smoothly as possible!
~ellis
Hi Shannon, been there, and I can totally relate. My writing just dried up when I returned to the US years ago b/c of all the readjustment issues. It is so very tough, and certainly made more difficult when your partner is a foreigner and you also have to help them get adjusted as well. Hang in there, I can tell you that it really does get better. :-)
I'm returning to the States this summer after 3 years in Qinhuangdao teaching. I'm also going to be married to a Chinese by the time I get back to the States. To say that I relate to your China experiences is an understatement (except for the life-size cutout, I didn't have one of those...*jealous*), but I know how you feel. I'm wondering how I'm going to cope when I return...
Thanks for sharing your feelings and thoughts. Culture shock, in forward or reverse, isn't fun.
I get attention -- but it's all negative because I'm fat. (I'm an American size 8.)
I can't wait to go home and be invisible again. China's a living nightmare if you're a woman who's slightly overweight and, therefore, not conventionally attractive.
Unemployment will be a godsend if it'll mean the end of this stigma.
Did you read what Jo Gan posted in Life Behind the Wall? Or did the two of you collaborate with each other (LOL)?
I understand your situation completely.. since i just returned from a vacation in the states. I live in china.. and I know you read my blog.. but for others that dont know me.. I am the Black woman married to a Chinese man that lives in china. YOu are completely right about not being special anymore... funny how different you see things once you are out of the situation. Thanks for reading my blog.. and good luck adjust back to normancy...
Thanks for all of your input! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. :) @Jocelyn, where in the states are you living? @Ellis, what's your blog site?
Interesting post, Shannon:) Would enjoy to keep in touch with you about your adventures in China. You speak Chinese? You can get in touch with me at my email: joshapolyglot@gmail.com
@Shannon, I currently reside in Idaho, if you can believe that!
Hi Shannon,
Thanks for taking the time to update us on your life back in the USA. We often checked your blog and wondered how you were doing in your new environment. I enjoyed your company in China and miss chatting with you, riding our bikes to church together, getting beat up together at the massage centre, shopping at whatever store we found on any particular day, and so much more. Thank you for all the good memories, I will always remember them and I miss you very much.
I hope you don’t get too discouraged with your present job because I know in my heart that it is only a matter of time before your qualities will be fully recognised and appreciated and you will be promoted to a level you deserve. Hang in there, we will be praying for you. Say Hi to Tony for Don and me. Love Lucette
I had no experience with reverse cultural shock but I probably will when I go back to China for a visit some time next year. But I can probably relate to your husband's cultural shock in some ways. Mine happened years ago and it was less of a pain for me since I was still a teen. But it wasn't easy to get through.
Best of luck to you and your husband!
Hi Shannon,
Will you write more about your decision to move back to the States with Hai Ke? I was so shocked because there was no mention of it in your previous posts. I'm an expat in China, also married to a Chinese and we're thinking of making the move in a few years...I really enjoy your blog!
Kat
Since when is an American size 8 considered fat or even slightly overweight??!
I just stumbled across your blog, it's interesting. I spent 2 years in China, iv been back in America for 6 months months now and going through reverse culture shock/china decompression bad.
The first 3 months were not so bad, I was busy with school, and hanging out with my friends was still fun and interesting.
After 3 months the reverse culture shock really began to set in, it's almost to a furor where some days all I can do is think about china/day dream about returning.
Never has life been that rich, meaningful & interesting for me, I hope to go back within a year or so, and only god knows if ill ever return to America.
Post a Comment