In October, I am going to be getting a roommate! Her name is Janis and she is actually one of my former students...from my very first semester of teaching. Ever since that semester we have met pretty regularly for dinner and kept in frequent contact. Our conversations are full of laughter...she's very funny and she has the most contagious laugh! I feel very comfortable around her and am excited to hang out with her more!
Janis is a senior this year and desperately wants to move out of the dorms. In fact, she's had her own apartment this past year but her parents would really prefer that she doesn't live alone and since I have plenty of room, we worked out a deal! I know that she will help me out a ton with language and I can also help her - we have built-in language partners!
Janis is unique among my students in that she has goals for her a life...a lot of them. So many of my students are in the dark about what they want to do or what they can be good at...and they settle for taking a common route. Not Janis. Over the past 2 years we have had many discussions about what she wants to do with her future. To name a few: professional tennis player, Hollywood director, Matt Damon fan club president :) and psychologist. In fact, I am going to take a few of my old psych textbooks back for her to look through this semester. I don't know what she'll end up doing after this year but she has great ambition so I know she will succeed. She also has a gift for languages...not only does she speak fairly-fluent English but she is taking Korean lessons in her spare time.
It's been a while since I've had a roommate but I'm really looking forward to it! You can see Janis in the picture below...she's the one on the far right, sitting on the floor in the cream sweater.
2 comments:
Awesome opportunity. way to go for taking it!
Just wanted to let you know how much I'm enjoying your blog. I am Tianjin-er living in the U.S., and it's great fun to read your posts about the schools, the students, and life in general. :) I really appreciate the frequent posts recently.
Good luck with the new school and with Tony!
Post a Comment