Monday, April 13, 2009

Some Fun Stories

First story, in light of Easter:
I went to church on Sunday and we had communion during the service. The way it is served is by passing the bread and the wine down each row, no one gets up and moves to the front. As I was passing the wine to my neighbor she hit my arm and it spilled on my leg! Without missing a beat, her teenage son turned to me and said, "Jesus blood, poured out on you!" :)

"Noise":
Last night I was watching a "Nooma" video (a short, 10 minute sermon-type message) on DVD titled, "Noise." At one point the video goes black and completely silent to symbolize what it means to have silence in our life...the message is then given through words to read on the screen. At the exact moment that the screen went black my building was literally shaken with the impact of the fireworks being lit outside. They continued until the noise of the DVD came back on. Needless to say, all symbolism was lost!

Cute things my students say:
Yesterday I met with a former student, Angela, and we were talking about her plans for after graduation in a year. She was telling me that she needs to study harder than others because her "basement" in English is not as good. When I looked confused and substituted the word "foundation" she just laughed and said, "So stupid!"

This one happened a while ago but I don't think I ever shared it:
I was walking to dinner with a friend, Abby, and she was telling me about her freshmen year when one of her classmates had gotten sick. I asked her what happened and she said, he had "kitchen pots." Huh? Kitchen pots? She said yes, "kitchen pots, you know, kitchen pots!" Finally I figured it out..."Do you mean chicken pox?" Hahaha..."kitchen" and "chicken" are commonly mistaken for each other and each time it makes for a very funny story to tell later! :)

No comments: