Sunday, April 5, 2009

68 Yard

This post is for all of my art-lovin' friends!! I went to an art gallery last week called 68 Yard; it's the smaller version of a larger art gallery in Beijing. One of my students, Monica, had a friend who displayed some art work so she invited me to go along and check out the opening of the display. It turned out that 8 students from an art school put the display together to showcase their work. Although my eyes are artistically untrained, I thought that some of the pieces were quite good! I've included some pictures below with brief explanations.

This first one depicts a Beijing opera star in a modern-day society. It is supposed to show the contrast of the beauty of traditional opera with the rubble and disarray that much of our world sees now.

These three men above are characters in Beijing opera.

Monica is in the middle and the girl in the yellow coat is the artist of these two pieces. There were 4 cat pictures all together in this set.