Sunday, June 1, 2008

Another Good Read

I recently finished reading the book, "River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze" by Peter Hessler and I really want to recommend it to you! It was written in 1999 and it is the story of a man who taught English in Sichuan Province for 2 years. He was a volunteer with the Peace Corps and he has some hilarious stories! Although my teaching situation is very different from his, I could still relate to a lot of the things that happened to him. He tells about his experiences with a very light and funny tone, while at the same time giving a lot of insight into Chinese culture.

This is what the New York Times says about it: "Charming and insightful...Poignant (and) hilarious...Lively, intelligent...You will learn a great deal about real life in contemporary China in River Town, and about how that vast country appears in the eyes of a sensitive, aware, rugged young American who keeps both his eyes and his mind open."

If you're looking for a good book, try it out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You won't believe this...I am reading Peter Hessler's "River Town" right now and I was just thinking today that this would be a good book for Shannon to read. Then I see your recommendation here. Our little Amy was from Fuling so I really find this book interesting since we have been there. I plan to save this book for her to have when she's older. Just thought you might be interested in this connection.
I really enjoy reading about your experiences. You will treasure these memories. Linda