Text Messages:
"Today I read the magazine The Economist and came across an article about an excellent editor. The title is Bottle Her but Keep Her. I'm not sure about the meaning of BOTTLE HER. Can you give me a hint?" ~ Casey

Oh, how I wish I could give you a hint, Casey!
Also from Casey: "Shannon SOS! Can you tell me the difference between the two words amiable and affable?"
SOS! SOS!
The last one from Casey...she decided one day to find out if my name has any shortened versions so I told her "Shan" - this is now what she calls me. She's so cute!
Finally, one that couldn't be answered even with the help of 4 other native English speakers, "What is bush-apple?" ~ Jessy
We tried out "bushel of apples" or took a shot with "apple bush" but she informed us that these were not correct either...I'm still stumped!
Journal Covers:
All over China you can find Chinglish, the combining of Chinese and English (or poor translations) on menus, signs, billboards, official building signs and pretty much anything trying to express English! This includes the covers of all of those journals. Here are some of the best sayings...
"What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two babies."
"I feel if in my fingers I feel is writte on the koow i love you i slways wind on the know i love fingers."
"This is the most comfortable notebook you have ever run into."
I did not change any of these...they are typed exactly as they are written on the journals. My favorite has got to be the second one and how it ends with "i love fingers..." HUH? Okay, so maybe I'm not as "Chinese-ized" as I thought... :)
4 comments:
ha. maybe the I love fingers thing has to do with posing for photos?
one soul in two babies... ai-ya...
Shan-
A bush apple is a tree that grows in Australia (don't ask me how I knew that)...
Hope all is well!!!
Emily J.
I bought the "This is the most comfortable notebook you have ever run into." journal for my trip. The title sold me.
I remembered Beth buying the journal! =) I love Chinglish! What was it that Cindy said? "Civilization. Walk the dog."??
Post a Comment