Monday, April 28, 2008
G.A.O.
For several weeks now I have been meeting with 4 other foreigners and about 15 former students every Saturday to talk about "girl stuff." We officially call it G.A.O., Girls Afternoon Out, and one of the main objectives of this group is to learn about what it means to be a woman in China, as well as to share with the girls what it means to be a woman in the U.S., Taiwan, or the U.K. Let me tell you, we are all learning a ton! Relationships are different, families are different, the view of a boyfriend/husband is different, what is learned in school vs. learned from movies is extremely different! We are quickly finding out that these girls haven't had much, if any, education about men and women, sex, or body image. They believe a lot of what they see in American TV shows and movies - YIKES!
So, every Saturday myself and approximately 15 students load onto a bus and travel to our friend's house where we talk, chat, discuss - what girls do best! Each week two of us plan some discussion questions about the topics we have chosen - so far we have covered the 5 Love Languages, life transitions (coming into womanhood), choosing a marriage partner, and the differences/communication between men and women. We usually have some sort of opener in the form of a game or role play, then we break into small groups, eat snacks and talk, talk, talk! The girls love it and we love it...although sometimes the things that these girls say is enough to break my heart. It's hard to fathom some of the things they have experienced in their short lives.
Please keep this group in your thoughts as we continue to meet, discuss, get to know each other, and open up to each other. It's been amazing so far and I really look forward to the upcoming Saturdays!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Thanks for blogging this. Jessica is always too busy to blog all the cool and interesting stuff she's doing.
I totally just stole that photo and quoted some of your text. You can sue me for copyright infringement next time we're all back in the States. But if you do, I'm gonna tell them about all your 7 kuai DVDs! =)
It would be great to have some of these insights. Sometimes I feel so dumb trying to relate to Chinese people (boys or girls) because I know assumptions [at least many] I have just aren't fathomable to the persons with whom I am speaking.
Thanks, Shannon, for beginning this discussion; thanks, Joel, for stealing the post and introducing me to Shannon's blog.
Shannon,
This is a very interesting and important topic in China these days. Have you considered writing a book about what you're learning about young women in China? I'll bet Brian and Leslie aren't the only people who would buy it :)
Post a Comment