Sunday, April 6, 2008

KTV - It's the Chinese Way

Why are the Chinese so into KTV? First, you are probably wondering, what in the world is KTV? Karaoke Television. Karaoke. Singing your heart out. Singing your heart out whether you can sing or not. Singing with lots of emotion. Singing with a microphone and turning up the volume to be sure that you are heard. By everyone. Karaoke. Got it?

One of the largest KTV clubs in Tianjin

In China, KTV is HUGE! There are over 100,000 KTV clubs in mainland China and I'm guessing every one of them is used - daily! I know what some of you may be thinking...that karaoke is basically a joke in the U.S. and no one really wants to do it! Right? Well, that's what I think anyways... It is so different in China, though. When you go to a KTV club, your group gets a personal room which includes a big-screen TV, a computer play-list so that you can choose your songs, two microphones, a nice comfy couch, and usually people will order some drinks or food. I've been told that you will pay anywhere from 38 yuan ($5.50) to 200 yuan ($28.50) an hour, but I'm guessing you could find places even cheaper than that. Then, the singing begins...

Some Westerners getting ready to sing - look how excited they are!

For some reason, I have gone to KTV the past two weekends - once with a group of foreigners for a birthday party and once with a group of Chinese students. The two times were drastically different! When I went with the Westerners, we belted out every 80's ballad together, whether we had the mic or not. When I went with the Chinese it was fun, but not as loud. The Chinese take their singing seriously and choose their songs with care, usually standing up for their solos. :) When I went with the students, I got pressured into singing a few songs like, "My Heart Will Go On" and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight." Ahem, ahem...choke... I said I would sing under the condition that my student sang with me and thankfully I picked the student with the strongest (and loudest) voice to drown me out! Many of my students have told me that they go to KTV and "pull an all-nighter" singing and recording MP3's of their songs. My theory about why KTV is so popular is that it's a release for people from the pressures of their daily lives. At KTV they can kick back, sing out their worries, and spend time with their friends. Also, many business arrangements are made over dinners and then are followed up with KTV to have some fun with the business partners once the important matters are settled.

Abby, singing a Chinese song - about 2 seconds after this picture is taken she stands to enhance her performance.

Overall, KTV is WAY better than karaoke in the U.S. and it can even be fun...yes, it can be fun!

Haha...I'm such a diva. Or not...

I have one side-note story about something that happened to me on the way home from KTV the other night. I was in a taxi with two of my former students and they started translating a conversation between the driver and myself. Basically, he wanted me to teach him English and if I agreed, he said that he would be my personal driver and I could call him anytime I needed a ride for FREE! I was so tempted but finally decided that my schedule is too full as it is...what a shame. Only in China!! :)

No comments: