The first week in Tianjin has been busy busy - we opened bank accounts and got cell phones - each of which took an entire afternoon!! Since I'm teaching at a university that is somewhat far away from the orientation meetings, I've gotten very familiar with the local taxis...and can even tell them where I want to go (although they usually get a good chuckle out of my incompetence!)
My apt was a sight for sore eyes at the beginning of the week but after lots of cleaning, LOTS of bleach and a new couch and rug, it's doing much better...see pics...and just to put things into perspective for you, I paid $158 US Dollars for a brand new sectional-couch! Cheap!!! Other fun money facts...I ate an entire meal of fried rice (I couldn't even finish it) the other day for approx. 75 cents USD. And, you can ride the bus here for approx. 12 cents USD! My monthly phone bill is 50 Yuan, which equals about $6 a month. Crazy, huh???
My new rug...it's unbelievable the joy a rug can bring!!

My new couch...luxury...and yes, it's bright blue! :)

The view of my living room...

I start teaching on Sept. 3rd...WRITING for Year 2 and 3 students...not exactly what I was expecting but I'm trying to be open minded. I have every afternoon off and Fridays off...but I'm guessing I'll be using a lot of that time to grade papers. I will have about 24 students in each of my 6 classes...they said only 3-4 boys in each class, the rest are girls.
Must be naptime in China because the guy sitting next to me in Starbucks just woke up and continued eating his muffin. Ha!
Next week I should be getting internet in my apt so these posts will become more regular then...I feel like I could write so many more stories but I'll spare you and write again soon! Missing you!!!! Shannon :)
8 comments:
We are so glad to hear from you! We have been doing kneework nightly for your safety and happiness. Colin always reminds me that you are not alone and we should not worry (funny from the worrywart himself)! I was about ready to call your mother (I got info from Doug) and have Pietz's bring you home with them. Love, Kari
I second Kari's comment!! It is great to be back in touch with you.
I'm glad you are making your apartment home.
Shanny,
WHEW!! You are out there. Good. Your apartment looks very hip. But I'm mostly excited to see pictures of you! They did bring a little tear to my eye. My darn school thinks this blog is 'inappropriate' so I'll only be able to check on the weekends. GOOD LUCK grading those papers. This English teacher feels your pain. Would you like me to send some red checking pens?
Take care. I love you, friend. AmyA
Shan,
Noticed that you chose Swedish colors for your living room. Blue and Yellow! Sweet couch. I really dig it. You need stuff for your walls though. Wonder if I could help you with that. hmm. We will see. School starting up soon..Get ready girl!
love ya!
bonwa
Shannon! I found your blog! What a great way to keep in touch. I love the couch. Gotta love the cheap prices in China! All of the things you wrote about (taxis, bank, etc) remind me of Hangzhou. Good luck doing ESL - you'll be great! You'll be in my thoughts! ;-)
Hey ET
We're enjoying your updates-- what a blog! How adaptive you are. Idea: buy up red checking pens, teach the neighbor kids a few punctuation marks and pay them $.50/hr to do composition mark ups-- save you time, help the economy and make English more public. You're in our thoughts. Get 'er done! dajohn, ET (ret.)
Shanny,
We hope your experience in China is as great as our daughter's (Jennifer) was in Japan. Learn, sightsee, eat all the foods, experience local customs and culture. We will enjoy reading your blog. Love ya, Dean and Debby
Shannon, I am so happy that you made it safe and sound. How exciting! I love the couch!
Take care,
Cindy C
Post a Comment