If I could sum up the ceremony using single words I would choose these:
Impeccable.
Stunning.
Pure.
Everything.
I'm going to use this post to showcase all sorts of pictures and highlights from the ceremony - here we go!
Highlights:
* The decorations. Considering the fact that I had nearly nothing to do with them, they were perfectly suited for me and they were simple, yet alluring.





* Waiting for the ceremony to begin, for people to be seated, for the music to cue us in. Someone shouted, pointed and our eyes all followed their finger. A rainbow behind us. "Is this real? A rainbow just two minutes before we begin? A sign. He is always here."
* The line-up, preparing to walk in, watching my sisters and friends who had traveled such a long way to be there on that day - just to support us. Haike escorting his parents, my mom and stepmom, my grandma. Canon in D, piano version, almost like a breeze playing in the background. Lizzy, who earlier declared that she would not throw any flowers, chose to throw them - in handfuls directly onto the ground. We could hear the chuckles from where we stood.
* Walking with my dad. As every girl knows, this is one of the most important, special moments of her wedding day. It was no different for me. I can barely remember it now but I do remember this - my dad told me he was proud of me and that I had made a very good choice in Haike. This part I remember. I also remember being unable to hold back the tears as we turned the corner and I spotted Haike watching me from the front. How do you explain this moment, this feeling, this walk towards your new "home" - it's indescribable. But I can tell you that in that moment there was no doubt, only understanding and a deep well of gratitude for all that I have been blessed with.

* Cindy. My tender-hearted, honest, inspirational, realistic-dreaming friend...my cheerleader from the start. My voice of reason. Standing next to my future, waiting at the front. As I got closer to her, she also began crying and pulled at my heart strings in the most unimaginable way. She tried to begin the ceremony several times before being able to proceed. I remember not caring in the least, just wanting to give her a big hug.

* Opening words. An opening prayer. Emilie and Theresa reading from Colossians, "Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience..."
* A message from Cindy and Zhao Bin. Everything translated or recreated in a second language. Cindy's message was so moving, so encouraging, so spot-on what I needed to hear. She read a poem that she had written shortly after Haike and I got engaged (it will be added as a separate post following this one!) Everyone was crying, laughing, nodding, smiling. Zhao Bin gave an honest, open and enduring message - a modern testament to his faith.
* My high-heeled shoes sinking deeper and deeper into the soft ground, creating two micro-drills, digging the memory of the day far into the earth.
* Our vows - Haike said them first, in English and in Chinese. I meekly said my vows in English, trying to hold back the crack that was fighting at the edge of my voice. Though meek and gentle, the words were said with clarity and conviction. I prepared myself for the surprise I knew was coming. Though earlier I had apologized intensely to Haike for not being able to learn the Chinese vows, I had another intent. I learned them, I practiced them and when Cindy handed me the "cheat-sheet" I knowingly thrust it into a fist behind me and recited those words straight from my heart. The look of surprise and awe on Haike's face will be etched into my, and our guest's minds as one of the most wonderful moments of the day. Haike later recalled it as the best part of the day for him, as well.

* The exchanging of rings. A release of emotion when we all shared a laugh as Haike's best man only gave us one of the rings, leaving us short-handed and glancing around in confusion. No problem - it was still in his pocket and was soon express-delivered to my waiting finger.

* A Chinese love song by my Chinese sister, Yiqi. While she was singing, Haike and I moved to take part in our sand ceremony, a combining of two colors of sand to symbolize our lives shifting into one. When we finished, Zhao Bin motioned for me to mix the colors together - another laugh, and I listened. We enjoyed Yiqi's song, it was so beautiful - her voice and gaze melting together to create an entrancing story. As she sang, a breeze caught her hair and then drifted through my veil. Nearly the first breeze in the 6 days that we'd been in Chiang Mai. A butterfly soared through the ceremony site. These things could never have been planned by any human in the world. Chelsea - yours had nothing on mine.


* The tea ceremony. A Chinese tradition. We pulled out chairs for our parents and my grandma. They came to the front and sat down. Haike served my parents and grandma first - as they accepted the tea, they accepted him into the family. My grandma was surprised when told she didn't need to drink it all. Then, I served Haike's parents, "please drink this tea." We helped them back to their seats.



* Time to kiss! Cindy pronounced us as the new couple and Zhao Bin urgently reminded us to wait for the translation before the kiss. "Okay, NOW it's time!"

* As we were leaving, I was becoming anxious...a surprise was planned. A BIG surprise was planned but where was it? My wedding planner came running towards me. "It's not here yet! We need to stall!" So, as everyone came out we shared hugs all around and whoops of joy and congratulations were shouted in Haike and my direction. I needed to keep them in this spot...all of them... so I suggested a group photo. Many of them said, "why don't we do it up at the main building, on the stairs?" But the bride spoke and was heard... "Nope, we're doing it here!" We had to wait, the surprise was sooo good. The wait was worth it. First I saw the fingers pointing, then the gasps, then all heads turned in one direction and the cameras came out.

A giant elephant was walking towards us and stopped directly in front of the group. She knelt down onto her front legs then lowered her back legs until she was laying on her stomach. Only a few people knew she was coming. No one could believe what was about to happen - were we going to ride it?!?! Miao grabbed a small table and pulled it over to the elephant. Haike stepped on it, then hopped on up. Next, it was my turn and it was undoubtedly more difficult. I think, in the end, I had 4 people pushing from behind and Haike pulling from on top. My job was to keep the bottom of my dress pulled up, and in doing so, keep the top of my dress from falling down! We made it! The elephant stood up and as it turned around we heard more cheering as the group saw the words, "Just Married" propped on the back of the elephant. Everyone followed us as we took a short walk around the resort then back to the main building. I pretty much fell off the elephant into Haike's waiting arms and then everyone posed for picture after picture with the beautiful creature. It was an exhilarating and joyous moment. A celebration.





Let the party begin...
1 comment:
When that breeze went thru Yiqi's hair and your veil, it was right at the crescendo of her song. I lost it right then and there. Amazing!
Post a Comment