Saturday, August 7, 2010

Cindy's Poem

This is the poem that Cindy wrote right after Haike and I got engaged. She read it during our ceremony, along with the rest of her amazing message! Thanks Cindy!!


It all began with that fateful email
The advent of the Shannon/Tony fairy tale
“He kissed me! What’s a girl to make of that?!”
“Are you out of your mind? Wait, did you kiss him back?”

Thousands of miles away, Tony had already fallen hard
I watch her with him on the phone, pacing around my backyard
her heart torn in more ways than one
she knows her time in China is just not done

And so it was, on that trip to discovery
She finds herself back in this country
back to her now couch-less apartment
dealing with the evil English department

She’s back! his wishes had come true!
it’s time for action, time to woo
“Cindy, how do I do it, what does she like?”
“Maybe I should google ‘how to get American girls to like a Chinese guy’”

In the end, it wasn’t what he DID that won her
It was being himself, his personality, his character
Because it really is true what they say
A boy’s skin color isn’t the last word of the day

It was months that passed before she agreed
to become Tony’s girlfriend, much to his jubilee!
And slowly but surely they grew in their love
And unwaveringly they felt the leading of the One from above

Now I wasn’t there the day when Tony proposed
Thanks to TianjinShannon.blogspot we all know how the story goes
But I can tell you when I knew this tale would end well
The moment I thought I began to hear wedding bells:

My dear friend Shannon, whose goodness is too good
how a man can regard her so highly, she never understood
says, “I really think he can be wonderful to me
my whole life” these words helped me see

Despite all the ups and downs of their journey
The good times, the bad, the mountains and valley
They’ve made it this far, so I think you’ll agree
Shannon and Tony were meant to be.

We don’t know yet what the future will hold
but that together the two of you will grow old
On the way may God fill you with so much love it spills over
and I know you will change the world forever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a stunningly beautiful wedding. Wish you two a life of "happily ever after".