...don't get swine flu! I figure since my blog is still blocked, I have more freedom to write, don't you think?? I assume that one reason China is getting so concerned about swine flu is because of the huge SARS drama in 2003. (The same drama that, by the way, got my study abroad program in Hangzhou canceled and forced all of us students to be quarantined to our homes for a week!) Looks like they REALLY don't want a repeat of that. One of the main things I've seen lately are signs...everywhere...with warnings about swine flu. The taxis in Beijing are suggesting that all customers get a receipt and then if they come down with swine flu, they should call all the taxis they took and report it. What good does that do? Don't know... Also, my friend, Kathy, sent me an e-mail with a story from a friend of hers about how he flew into China and they made all 300 passengers stay on board until they took their temperatures and confirmed that they'd been nowhere near pigs. I wonder if all the flights into China are doing this... I know it's good to take precautions but there is a line and as soon as it's crossed it becomes paranoia!
On another hospital/sickness note...during the past 2 months or so, I had a terrible cough. Don't worry...it's all better now thanks to my antibiotics! For a while there I was taking Chinese medicine to try to cure it and the dosages are frighteningly different...for example, I would take 8 of a pill at once and then take 8 more a few hours later! I seriously thought I was overdosing. Anyways, I digress.... I ended up going to see a doctor and I want to tell you a little about the hospital experience!
When you go to the hospital, you have to run all over the place; from one window to the next, up and down the stairs...thank goodness I had a Chinese friend there or I would still be searching for the right room. Once you get to the room with the doctor, you just go on in. Yes, there are chairs outside of the room to wait in but no one actually sits there. Everyone just walks into the examining room, no matter if there is a patient in there already or if there is a patient PLUS 10 other people waiting. I was so thankful that my examination was very simple and that all clothes could remain intact... I heard of another guy's story who had a somewhat embarrassing health situation and he had to explain it all to the doctor with 20 other people standing there and listening - horrible!!! I don't understand this...and probably won't ever but that's just the way it is in Chinese hospitals.
Another hospital story...my friend's dad recently had to undergo a heart operation and a few days after the surgery I went there with some others to visit him. In Chinese hospitals there are nurses but the nurses do very little to help out the patients (aside from the necessary medical needs.) For example, the nurses do not help a patient to the bathroom, or to take a shower or even bring them any food. So, when someone goes into the hospital it is absolutely necessary to have a friend or family member staying there with them to help with the everyday needs of the patient. A patient who has no family or friends staying with them is considered to be the poorest of all people because they are alone, and not only that but they will probably starve because no one is there to prepare food for them! My friend's mom stayed there with her husband for the entire week, never leaving his side as she was his personal nurse. So different from the States, huh??
So, now my goal...don't get sick! Although, I am not worried...I would have lots of people to take care of me! :)
On a side note, I still am not able to load pictures onto my blog which is really bumming me out! I have some proxys to try but if anyone knows any others that can help, please let me know!
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you need some vitameatavegimin!
Post a Comment