One of our stops in Xi'an was QSH's tomb. We climbed a whole lot of stairs only to reach the top and find...nothing. My friend, Zoe, told us that QSH always wanted the best so he chose this beautiful location as his burial place. After doing some further research, I found out that he was planning his burial site while he was still alive and was taking extreme measures to be sure that he would be protected, even in death. Archeaologists have probed into this massive hill (at the top of the stairs) and believe that his tomb may still be intact....amazing! They also believe that at one point it was protected by crossbows triggered to shoot anyone who came close. All of the men who built his tomb were eventually killed so that QSH's secrets would never get out. When QSH was near to death, he ordered his closest relatives and several concubines to be buried alive with him...hmmm, I'd say his character is being questioned!!! :)
When we finally reached the Terracotta Warriors, I felt a rush of excitement! These warriors have been called an Eighth Wonder of the World (along with the Great Wall) and I had been waiting to see them for a long time! Just over 35 years ago this army was found by a farmer who was digging to see why his well went dry. Since then, what is believed to be more than 8,000 soldiers have been found - each of them with unique, distinct features. Each soldier was also built with weapons and there are models of each rank - generals, archers, even horses! I tell you, it was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. There are 4 pits in all but only 3 that we were able to view. The largest pit was breathtaking and I think we were all captivated by the differences in the soldiers appearances. It also led me to think more about QSH and his legacy. He started the building of the army when he was only 13 years old...all in an effort to protect him in his next life. The number of lives that were lost during the building of the army surely must be massive. I was amazed at how this army has stayed intact during all of these years...many of them were broken but the ones remaining are...wow...
So, along with the tomb and the army, we also went to the Great Wall - it was a QSH filled week! I've now been to the wall 7 times and each time I think about the projected 2-3 million people who lost their lives, again, in an attempt at protection. Maybe it is the psychology major in me coming out but if I could go back thousands of years and interview QSH, I would love to know what was going on in that man's head! Brilliance...with a side of extreme paranoia would be my diagnosis!
No comments:
Post a Comment