So, the semi-annual English name list is compiled from my new classes and about to begin! I've been staring at this list just trying with all my might and all my creativity to make some groupings out of these names. Impossible? My first name on the list wouldn't think so...in fact, I think she would say that, "it's possible, for a plain, yellow pumpkin to become a golden carriage..." Yep, CINDERELLA tops my list. Now, I think it is understandable and incredibly adorable when sweet little 4-year old Kaia wants to be called Cinderella, but a freshman in college?!?!
Of course this year I have the usual month and food names, JULY and COOKIE, but this year we add a BEAN to the mix. Mr? Nope, this time we have the Mrs. along for the ride.
These next two must have chosen their names together...I guess communicating through the light that guides them. SHINING and STAR. But in the beautiful chaos of all things pretty-pretty, please don't forget about EMERALD and I can't help but think of "bling" when I call out the name, DRIZZLE - fo' shizzle?
Since we had the pretty-pretty paragraph, I guess we'll have to now turn our attention to the "name that will most likely make you cringe" category. First up is TREE, followed closely by SQUALL (dictionary definition..."to scream or cry loudly and harshly") and my favorite, PSYCHE. Do I tell her??
DEAR, YOUNG, BANKER: These 3 names combined tells me that we can skip the Letter Writing Unit this semester! I have to point out that DEAR is a boy and he is very aware of how strange his name is...a joke-ster, he is!
ROMEO has proved to live up to his name so far, stating that the place he most wants to visit is Paris because it is so romantic; while SING has yet to show me that her verb-name is accurate.
Some other strange names that came out during role call were: FIO, MARINA, SISSI, SHANNEL, and thankfully I have another S-T-E-L-L-A! I witnessed this last name being placed upon a student and, try as I might, could not prevent it! KELLER decided to be named after Helen Keller - why she didn't just choose Helen, I'll never know...
These last two names need no explanation, just sit and ponder them for a few minutes...HEAVEN and ARCHANGEL. They're not in the same class, which I see as a very good thing. Oh, and one more thing...when ARCHANGEL wrote his name on the class list, he actually spelled it wrong so he will go down in the record books as the ever-evil, but very acute, ARCHANGLE. :)
Hope you enjoyed the new names...think of me as I attempt to call on DRIZZLE and the others this semester while trying to keep a straight face!
Thursday, October 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
We knew a Cinderella once too. She was from Macau, but was going to college with us in Texas. At first she chose "Sam" but upon hitting Texas, discovered that Sam was a boy's name. So, her second choice was Cinderella, even though all her official paper work said "Sam". At school, she was usually listed as..."Cinderella" Sam Wang.
And, she became the first international student to be chosen as homecoming queen. Fitting, eh?
You should pretend like you're going to call on one student, fake them out, and call on Psyche. Although doing so may cause a fragile psyche amongst the rest of the students. Great post! Archangle is classic.
Brilliant post. One all us teachers can identify with. "Liberalist" is my favorite from a colleagues class this year.
You are sooooo clever! :)
When I worked in Alaska everyone had "camp names"--fake names that they went by while keeping their real names secret. There was a Tree, and your post brought back memories. There was also a Q-Tipp--maybe you could suggest that one next semester!
No wonder you can remember so many Names!! Haha!~~~~~now I know I can't choose Cinderella as my name~~
Post a Comment