Wednesday, October 29, 2008

BOO! Bwahahahaha!

This past week I did a Halloween lesson in my class, complete with Halloween tongue twisters for my speaking classes, the history of Halloween, candy, and a musical journal for my writing classes. In my 3 writing classes I told my students to close their eyes and listen to the music that was being played, the main theme song from the movie, "The Sixth Sense." Then, they had to make up a story according to what they heard! (I tried to load the music onto this blog but ahem...failed...so if you want to hear part of the music that I played, you can follow this link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Um-lFkXD8I&feature=related. It's pretty close to the actual version, minus a few screeching noises just to make sure my students weren't sleeping!)

Each week in my writing classes I have my students write a short journal at the end of the class. I realized that I have never posted an actual journal writing from one of my students so I decided to include one of the better ones here. Read on if you dare! :)

"In a dark-pitched night, the moon loomed behind the clouds, the silvery moonlight reflected a long lonely shadow of a middle-age man. He dragged his weary legs, trudging along the narrow alley with a depressed and painful look on his face. He stopped and leaned against a road lamp, it released a dim orange colored light. Suddenly the lamp 'bizz' and broken, left the night in a complete black. He sighed and walked foreward, his shadow followed him constantly. He had no intention to go home or anywhere there had a crowd. Alone was all he wanted. In the distance, a lush forest surrounded this old town, he quickened his steps to embrace the nature, where had a wild space to hide his secret and desperation."

This journal was written by Cinderella and I didn't change anything from her original writing. Pretty good, huh? Actually, some of the other students wrote stories that were more scary and suspenseful but I loved the description in Cinderella's writing.

Hope you had a great Halloween!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That journal was pretty darn good! Probably better than I could do. =) Happy Halloween, Shan!