Sunday, September 7, 2008

"I took the one less traveled by..."

The poem, "Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost has randomly been popping up in my life over these past few months, most recently when my sister was back in Marshalltown for a visit a few weekends ago. I remember memorizing this poem in Mrs. Yocum's 7th grade English class...and amazingly enough I still know it! Looking back, that is quite possibly the only thing I retained from 7th grade. :) Laura and I burst out in a sudden rendition of "Road Not Taken," including dramatic gestures, vocal intonation, a hint of mystery at the, you know, mysterious parts, intrigue and confusion with the harrowing decision to be made and a long sigh near the end, "I shall be telling this with a sigh..."

As I've grown older and have experienced more things in my life, certainly having matured a lot since first learning this poem as a 12 year-old, I realize that some things change and shift right alongside of us. For example, this poem. I have always liked this poem but today it means much more than it did when I was a shy, nervous pre-teen standing in front of my class trying desperately to recite it all the way through in the first shot so I could slink back to my desk in the corner of the room. Now, it gives me a sense of freedom and confirms the decisions that I am making with my life. Of course; I always wonder if I'm doing the right thing, if I'm making choices that people with agree with and understand, if I'm choosing the right road...

I finally booked my flight back to Tianjin - Wednesday, September 17th at 9:39 a.m. from Cedar Rapids, and I've decided to allow myself to stop wondering if this is right. This road that I am taking...not everyone takes it or understands why I choose to take it...but this grassy road, this road that is in need of wear is the road that I will walk confidently and surely upon until I am led down another.

Please continue to learn and grow along with me this year. Please stay in touch. Please tell me about the adventures that you are crossing on your unique road.


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

3 comments:

Debbie B. said...

preach it. I love that poem friend! I've found that i can walk for days, months in doubt of "did i make a right decision?".
And more days of joy are lost that way perhaps than any other way. Walk confidently in God's strength, follow the nudges he does give you along the way, and have the faith that he will come through. Boy do i relate to where you are!

Anonymous said...

Shannon...whew...I'm glad Mrs. Yocum didn't make us memorize that when I was in her class!! That is not my forte. :)
None the less, I love the poem. I'll look forward to your continuing blog this year. Do you think you'll be able to find another blue couch? :)
Stephanie

Bonnie said...

shanda, I'm glad to be back with checking on your blog. I am currently listening to the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack (which I think you will like). The combination of the music and the Frost poem brought tears to my eyes. Artistic expression can be so moving! Here is the link. Take a listen sister.

http://free.napster.com/view/album/index.html?id=12074928