I am currently taking a break from putting my apartment together - decorating, washing, arranging - to write this blog and I am enjoying the "Pride and Prejudice" soundtrack recommended by my friend, Bonnie, playing inside while noises from some hacky sack players seep in from outside. It's just a good day....for no particular reason.
I went with a group of people to IKEA in Beijing on Saturday and one of the greatest parts about going to an IKEA in China is catching people taking snoozes on the various bed and couch displays. I captured the lady below, never to escape from my over-used camera memory card, and was getting ready for another PERFECT photo opp when I was stopped. :( Let me just describe the scene to you...an older man and woman sleeping on a sectional couch. The woman was laying all the way down using the pillows, pointed toward the "T.V." as if she were lounging comfortably at home. The man was sitting slouched over and if we had been passing by the windows of his house that night, I would have thought he had just finished a whole day of working, a big meal, and just couldn't stay awake any longer to finish watching the evening news. Husband and wife had their shoes kicked off on the floor. The part that is most amazing to me is that they are oblivious (or possibly just un-bothered...) by the thousands of people gazing in on their naptime...

Since this is a new year, I have decided to change several things in my apartment (this is also out of necessity...) and one of the things I changed is my bedroom. Before I had two single beds, which looked much like the bedroom of a 7 and 4 year-old that I walked into in the states this summer, so I decided to go with a more "grown-up" look and I moved the beds together to make one massive king-size bed. IKEA provided me with sheets and the finished product is quite good, considering the materials I have to work with!

Now, I know that some of you will say..."if you want the bed to be so 'grown-up,' why do you still have your stuffed Nala there?" Some things just can't change.... :)
I forgot to mention earlier that the entire country of China has a national holiday this week, which means no classes for 7 days! Yes, I know I've only had a week of class so far but I was still ready for the break! Instead of my usual whirlwind traveling whenever I get the chance, I am staying in Tianjin for this break, just to get acclimated to being back. So, now I think I'm going to go back to transforming this apartment into my home and enjoying this day that is so great...for no particular reason...
1 comment:
So, I call half the bed when we come...just like shotgun, the earlier the better- only I don't have to see it in person to call it cause I saw it in a picture.
Just so there's no confusion.
;)
Post a Comment