Friday, May 30, 2008

Guest Blogger: The Big Question...

Disclaimer: Shannon is taking the night off of blogging, so I, Lindsey (a.k.a. the older sister), am guest blogging today.

Tonight is our last night in China.

My sister, Laura, my Mom, family friend Beth Muckler and I have been visiting Shan for the last two weeks. We've spent time in Tianjin and traveled to Beijing, Hangzhou, and Shanghai. It's been a great two weeks, filled with new experiences, sights, sounds, smells, and, of course, foods. Tonight at dinner Shannon asked us The Big Question: "What was your favorite thing in China"?

Hmm... I don't think I could possibly narrow it down to only thing, so I'll list a few for your reading enjoyment.

1) The Great Wall. I mean, it's not called The Great Wall for nothing. We hiked up and down stairs for ~3 hours. It was exhausting, awe-inspiring, and peaceful. The scenery, the wind, the quiet, and an enormous piece of history make a good combination!


2) West Lake in Hangzhou. Hangzhou is said be heaven on Earth. I believe it, except for the humidity! We spent a couple of hot days exploring the beautiful city with Echo and her wonderful family. If you ever get a chance, go!

A hotel on West Lake

3) The food. Growing up in small-town Iowa, you don't get a lot of ethnic food. Potatoes, corn, and beef don't count. So coming to China has brought a lot of new eating experiences. Every meal has been a lesson in the specialities of the region and a practice session with our chopsticks (yes, food was dropped, mostly by Mom and I). Also, some of the food has been quite an adventure. We ate shrimp, lots of fish soup, chicken feet, eel, and things with eyeballs. Overall, however, two thumbs up to Shan and her friends who ordered everything for us.


4) All the sights. The Summer Palace and Temple of Heaven in Beijing. Mr. Guo's Villa in Hangzhou. The Bund and the Yu Garden in Shanghai. The list goes on...

Tian an men Square

5) I am listing this one last, but I think I should've put it first...
The people! All of the wonderful people who have hung out with us, helped us get around, opened their homes to us, shared meals with us, and extended so much warmth and welcome to us. You know who you are... Thank you so much for everything! =)

Thanks, Shannon, for all you did for us. Until next time, Zai Jian from China!

Picture taken by Laura on the door of a "squatty potty"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

where did you find that sign?? we need those in Tianjin!

Anonymous said...

Lindsey, I could practically hear you talking as I read your blog!
Thinking of you all and glad you had a great time!
Love, Stephanie