Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Reflections on 2007...

As 2007 began, I was sitting on a plane returning from a week-long trip in Guatemala. While there, I had been sharing some of my dreams with the Fitch family, who I went with. One of the dreams I shared was moving to China to teach English "someday." I had no idea at the time that "someday" was much closer than I had anticipated. Reflecting on a year of surprises, challenges, miracles, deep sadness, strength, and adventure I can see that this will be a year I will never forget. What did 2007 look like for me?

* I experienced the unselfish support of family and friends as I wrestled with the huge decision of uprooting my life and moving to China.
* I stood by one of my best friends who had been thrown into a nightmare and then I witnessed the miracle of healing for her dad.
* I cried so many tears as I said "see you later" to each friend, volunteer, co-worker, sister, and child at FLC who had touched my heart over the past 3 years.
* I looked my fears of moving to a foreign country in the eye and finally said, "Bring it on!"
* I became humbled as I moved from a job that I excelled at into a job that I, well, that I kind of suck at! (All of you teachers back home...the respect I have for you...)
* Through this humbling, I learned that maybe work isn't always about work, maybe it's about the people you are with and through that I experienced JOY from my students - words are too few to express what these college students have come to mean to me.
* I laughed when my mom was here and was trying to practice some Chinese she had learned. She confidently said "Ni Hao!" ("Hello!") to a storekeeper as we walked OUT of the store. :)
* I felt excitement when I heard that new-life will be coming in the form of a baby to someone I love back home.
* And finally, I was reminded that ONE person can make a difference, no matter where we are or what we are doing...I want to be ONE of the ONE.

If you get a chance to reflect on 2007, I would love to hear about your accomplishments, growth, and changes during the year - if you take the time, I think you'll realize just how colorful your life is.

I know that a lot of people (myself included!) say "I hope 2008 is your best year yet" but I truly do wish this for all of you...I hope it is a year of facing fears, standing by your friends, new-life, independence, and JOY. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments: