Hey all! As I mentioned in my last blog, I headed to Shanghai and Hangzhou this past week to see my friend, Echo. Some of you know her or have heard of her --- she is my good friend from when I studied abroad during college. We had an awesome week. It is very customary of the Chinese that when they have a visitor to their hometown, they pay for EVERYTHING. So, out of an entire week I managed to get my money out before her for one meal and one taxi ride. I was really spoiled! She took me to a ton of really nice restaurants and we even had some meals at home with her family. Another customary thing of Chinese culture (or maybe all cultures??) is that they practically hand-feed you while you are in their home. So, that being said...I ate some interesting foods throughout the week! Echo's family loves seafood so that is a staple at each meal - I ate eel, shrimp with the head still attached (don't worry...I bit the head off and spit it out!), tons of fish...bones included, which I also spit out :), oysters, clams, squid, crab legs, crab soup, crab dumplings, crab and potatoes - just call me Bubba Gump! I told Echo that I would try
almost anything once and, looking back, I'm glad I inserted the "almost" because I had to draw the line when they brought out the turtle...still looking very much like a turtle, just flipped up on its shell with its little legs sprawled. :(
Echo did give me a real treat one night when we went to Papa Johns for dinner...oh, the cheese was soooo good!
All in all - the food that we had was pretty tasty and I learned that I can eat much more exotic foods than I thought I could - and I think I came out a little bit more open-minded, too. ;)
Stay tuned for Shanghai and Hangzhou Parts 2 & 3 - The Sights and The People!!
6 comments:
Hey Bubba...can't wait for parts two and three. Talk to you very soon. Love, Mom
Look at you--so brave! You impress me more and more Shanny!
Hey Shannon! Just found your blog address once again (thanks to Vicki & Will)and realized that I'd been missing a lot about your adventures! Way to go with the food tasting! You make us Iowans proud. I love seeing all of your pics. The kids enjoy them, too. We all miss you here, but know that you are fulfilling a greater purpose. Keep your light shining bright!!
Love, The Dvorak Clan
It appears as though the only item missing from your food tour of Shanghai and Hangzhou is an extra large helping of cathedral window pane dessert...and an extra large serving of let the fun out! Love, Jen
Shannoni,
It sounds like you came "out of your shell' with the eating. No pun intended. Way more than I think I could have. JaneAnne
Ooh, no way I could've eaten that poor turtle! =) Just catching up on your blog. Love ya!
Post a Comment