
My university does not monitor or even wonder what I teach and has provided me very little curriculum so I come up with my own lesson plans each week. Last week I taught my students about Narrative Essays and I read "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein to them as an example of a narrative. They loved this story - some of them nearly cried, some of them thought that "the tree was stupid," one of them referred to JC and how He says it's better to give than to receive, and one went very philosophical spouting about how the tree and the boy represent different cultures, races, governments, religions, etc. They are so bright and have great thoughts if encouraged to express them. Overall - a good lesson!
And my last interesting fact for this blog...I found out recently that in Tianjin, and possibly all of Northern China, the heat during winter time is regulated. This means that they turn on the heat (for the whole city) on November 15th and it goes off again on March 15th. Depending on which floor you live on in your building, you may be quite hot or freezing because the heat gets set at one temp - one temp that is not determined by the person who lives there. So...my task for this week is to get some good, warm blankets because it is already in the 50's during the day in Tianjin so I'm anticipating that it could be a cold month until Nov. 15th rolls around. Enjoy your heat!
3 comments:
I would like to send you a homemade blanket (I am working on a knitted one right now)...but im scared it wont reach you..or that it will take months to get to you. What do ya think? WHen you come back to the US, we will watch a chicken flick! Sounds better than a chick flick! :)
I love your lesson plan ideas. You have such creativity and such a great way of connecting with people.
First of all, I love the chicken flick phrase (of course). Also, I want to say how incredibly impressed I am with you and how proud I am to be your sister. =) I'm going to try to figure out this skype thing now! Love you.
Post a Comment