This blog comes after a special request from my mom (sure, you can make requests!) She wanted to see some pics from where I live so I'm going to include those. Also, I wanted to let you all know that I got a bike! I haven't ventured off campus yet because I'm a scaredy-cat but I've been practicing on campus. :) One of my Chinese friend's friend was selling hers and it was such a good deal, I couldn't pass it up! I bought it for 70 Yuan, which is less than $10 USD, and she even included the basket and a lock! :) I bought a second lock to go with the first because stealing bikes is quite a common practice in China... When I bought the bike there were 3 Chinese girls there helping me...we put air in the tires and then they had me do a practice run. As I was riding and practically hitting myself in the face with my knees, I mentioned that maybe the seat should go up. So, they took me to a "bike guy" who could help with this and they told him I wanted the seat up. Eventually we got it moved to the height that I thought was appropriate but apparently in China they ride a lot lower to the ground than in the U.S. because the 3 Chinese girls thought this was way too high and unsafe for me! I continued to say that it was okay but before I knew it they were speaking to the bike guy and he was lowering the seat...ha! That is when I lost any sort of control of the situation and had to give in...guess I'll stand out enough being the white girl on a bike, at least I can blend in a bit riding low to the ground.
Here's my "new" bike...nice, huh? Notice how there is even a little rack on the back where someone can sit as I pedal...a very common thing to see in China!

The area where I live in Tianjin is called the "Foreign Concessions." When foreigners were first allowed to live in China they had to live in a certain part of town, which is where the name Foreign Concessions comes from. So, many of the buildings around me are very European-style. It's a bit weird to walk down the street because it doesn't really feel like China! It is a very nice area, though.
The following picture is of the front of the building where I live...

This next picture is the building you see when you walk through the gates of campus...

I tried to get a good picture of a typical China street....one where the hundreds of bikes are lined up next to the cars, ready to go when the light turns green....but was out at the wrong time of day! I'll try again soon.
What they say about China is true...if you are outside of your apartment, you are never alone! I snapped some of these pictures on the way to Starbucks and I almost took one of a white guy I saw walking along, too, because it's so rare! I guess it's not that rare for all of you. :) I hope that you enjoyed these pictures - let me know if there is anything else you are curious about!
8 comments:
Sweet bike! Has the women's world cup fever hit Tianjin? I watched the US team play this morning as I drank my early morning coffee. I noticed there are some of the games being played there in the new stadium. Could be a cool cultural opportunity.
That bike needs some purple paint and some tassels for the handlebars!
Thanks for the pictures. It makes it seem like you aren't so far away. Miss you lots!
IYQ Marcy
Have you taken your bike off of any sweet jumps yet?!?! hehe just kidding! I think I would get confused as to which bike was mine. . but perhaps that is because i'm easily confused?!?!! :) I'm glad you are enjoying yourself and it definately looks like you're have a great time!
Your building looks very nice and we're glad to hear that you are happy and doing well! Kaia still calls Donna's office "Shannon's Office" and asked me today when you're coming back to work at church. Colin had to explain it all to her again--I think she's still confused!
I'm glad you've gotten yourself some wheels--I agree with Marcy, though and I would add a sparkly purple seat :-)
Kaia's not alone-I still call my office "Shannon's office"!
It's good to see your smile-thanks for the photos!
Are you wearing a new skirt in that picture with the bike?
Shan,
Thanks for the pix! Keep 'em coming!! I love seeing where you're at. It looks very nice and more spacious than I anticipated. Talk to you very soon. Much Love!!!
Hey sista,
Nice ride. When we all come to visit, will you put the three of us on the back rack-thingy?
Lots of love,
Linds
Post a Comment