Friday, September 21, 2007

FIFA World Cup Fever!

The Women's World Cup has taken over Tianjin! It's really exciting...we went to the China vs. New Zealand game last night and China won 2-0! The stadium is brand-new and holds 60,000 - it wasn't sold-out but it was pretty close! The Chinese think that when you are celebrating or cheering that the louder it is the better. So, there was every kind of noisemaker you could imagine...also, red flares went off throughout the stadium each time a goal was made and when they won. Possibly even more entertaining to the Chinese than the game was our group of about 40 foreigners sitting together cheering just as loud as everyone else for China! Most people were decked-out in Chinese headbands, red shirts, and face paint. A few guys even shaved their heads and painted a Chinese flag on their head! :) Before the game started we were all standing outside the stadium and if we would have charged 10 Kuai for each picture that was taken of us, we would be rich! It was hilarious...they just couldn't believe we were there to cheer for China. We are going to the U.S.A. vs. England game tomorrow night...hopefully I'll have some more good news to report! Check out the pictures of the game and stadium!

Trying to fit in.... :)
The stadium....

China wins!!

3 comments:

LJ said...

I'm officially jealous of your experience. That's awesome that you have tickets to the USA game. Hope Solo is the MAN...or woman, I guess. It looks like you had some pretty good seats for the game. How much does a ticket cost? Depending on where the world cup is being held, I've heard sometimes FIFA will charge a different price to foreigners than natives. I look forward to your report from the USA game!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sista,
Peter and I watched the US/England game. It was pretty cool. And when I told him you were going to a game (or more, I guess), he was SOOOOO jealous! =) I'm glad you got to do something like that. Wish I could be there to go with you.
Love you and miss you!

Anonymous said...

For the record, I'm not jealous. I'm sooooo happy for you! In fact, I wish that I had been there with you! Have fun in China!