Tuesday, December 16, 2008

"The Perfect Gift" Part 2

As the fog of disappointment has begun to lift from last weekend, I have seen some good things come out of this unfortunate experience. I've had some really amazing conversations with my Chinese friends as we talked about the "how" and the "why" this happened. Even though my students were not able to perform in the program, we still got to witness the disabled children singing their hearts out after practicing for so long to achieve perfection. During the morning I got to decorate the theater with two of my students and listen to their excitement as they declared, "I've never decorated a Christmas tree before!" I also got to watch as 9 other students came to give of their time as they volunteered in various positions throughout the program. One girl came bouncing towards me after the program exclaiming that her job was so exciting! Her job, actually, was to direct people when they left the stage and say, "This way, this way." Haha...I'm glad she enjoyed it! :) Check out some pictures from the program...

After decorating the tree...and ourselves!

The BIG stars that we hung from the ceiling and the dreaded snowflakes that wouldn't stick on anything!

This is the Cerebral Palsy class singing, "Joy to the World."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found some good take-aways from the experience. And what a plus it was for the students who were able to spend the extra time with you!