Sunday, December 21, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

Despite another Christmas party being completely re-planned the day before it was held due to Tianjin's questionable tightening up, it IS beginning to feel and look like Christmas around here. Especially now with the SNOW and freezing temperatures...it feels like Iowa!

Last night around 10:30 I started hearing screeching, screaming and yelling outside my apartment so I took a look and saw the snow coming down. Living on a college campus, the students began to emerge and were extremely excited. They started running around playing and throwing snowballs at each other. The commotion went on until well after midnight. I am guessing that many of the students have never seen snow, especially since last year we only had a light dusting the whole winter.

Taken from my back balcony at midnight.

This morning I decided that since it was the Sunday before Christmas, I just couldn't miss church so I braved the wind and snow (not on my bike!) and luckily found a taxi right away. On the way back I was not so fortunate and had to thaw my toes out on the radiator before I could walk properly again.

Taken on my campus this morning - students were up early playing. :)

On my way to church I observed very few snow plows, instead there were men out with their shovels, clearing the roads. This next picture was taken out of my taxi (sorry, it's not that good) but you can get an idea - there were groups of people every block or so loading the snow into wheelbarrows.


When I finally arrived back home I saw all of the waitresses and chefs from the restaurant across from my apartment outside shoveling the snow...must be in the "fine print" of their restaurant contracts... Imagine having this many people clear your driveway! I do sympathize with the girl using the broom... (Taken from my front balcony.)


As it's looking like Christmas outside, it is also looking that way inside. I got my little Christmas tree set-up and decorated several weeks ago and now it is complete with presents underneath!! (Thanks family!!)


As much as I'm happy to see the snow, I'm going to relish in the memory of my big snow adventure this morning and stay inside the rest of the day! Oh, I should mention...when it's cold in Tianjin, it seems even colder than it actually is because we are outside so much more - walking to a taxi, waiting for a bus, walking to a restaurant after church, biking - it's just not as convenient as having a car with the heat ready to blast when you jump in! Stay warm!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SHANNON, YOU DARLING, I'M SO PROUD OF YOU AND YET SO JEALOUS OF THE WONDERFUL ADVENTURE YOU'VE BEEN ON! IT'S BEEN SUNNY AND IN THE 70'S HERE IN FLA. I'M SO LOOKING FORWARD TO OUR VISIT WITH RUTH AND RON, THEY'RE MY FAVORITES! HAVE A SAFE, BEAUTIFUL HOLIDAY! YOU ARE REALLY BLESSED. LOVE, MO (JACK'S DAUGHTER!)

Debbie B. said...

I'm glad you had a white christmas! Its nice to have SOME of the cold..the day i left Chicago to come to California though it was -30 degrees with the wind chill. I am glad to have a break for awhile. Merry Christmas my fellow adventurer! I love your blog!