Thursday, March 20, 2008

The 'Un'-luck of the Irish?

Have you ever tried getting a class of 24-30 Chinese students to write an Irish blessing and an Irish limerick? I have! Although, I've got to say...quite un-successfully! I'm un-sure if the concept of rhyming every 1st, 2nd and 5th line, as well as the 3rd and 4th lines was the sticking point or the fact that limericks are meant to be silly poems. Either way, as much as I overemphasized the parts of a limerick, I am sitting surrounded by 150 journals filled with un-rhyming, un-silly, un-rhythmic limericks. See, it's not so hard to rhyme! :)

Despite the un-successful limerick writing, I am happy to say that I had a blast in my classes this week! Of course you all know that it was St. Patrick's Day on Monday and of course most of you know that I fully live up to my Irish name - it's one of my favorite holidays! I taught my students all about dying the Chicago River green, green beer, leprechauns and their pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow, and 4-leaf clovers. They loved it! They were so intrigued and laughed several times as I explained the story of the leprechaun, which of course only made me more animated while telling the tale! I also pinched several of my students who weren't wearing green and the looks on their faces were priceless...I'm guessing they thought me to be quite un-teacher-like at that moment!

I considered sharing with you an un-satisfactory limerick, along with a good one, but decided that there are just too many bad ones! So, to end this post I will leave you with a limerick written by the two girls below - Holly is in the red and Sophie is below her. Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you that they even worked in partners! Oh man! :) Oh well... Here for your reading enjoyment a sample from one class of a rhyming (possibly the only one), silly (again, I believe this stands alone) limerick!


A pretty girl wears high-heeled shoes,
With a bright mood goes shopping for bamboos.
She walks and walks - "Dong, dong, dong."
Suddenly she falls - "Bong."
Soon she gets up and her mood becomes blue.

(Insert thunderous applause)

Happy St. Patty's Day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I certainly hope you taught them of 4-leaf *lucky* clovers along with the regular 3-leaf ones!! I pinched my patient's newborn baby (not hard!) because he wasn't wearing green when he was born...it was quite funny...guess you had to be there!

Glad you had a fun St. Patty's day!!

Anonymous said...

Shanny,
I just spent who knows how long catching up on all of your adventures. I think with all that lymeric business you might be a better English teacher than myself. You could probably teach me a thing or two. I love your pics. I think you have turned into a professional photographer. Keep snapping those pics and having such adventures. We love living through your experiences and learning from your wisdom. Loving you from Iowa, AmyA

Anonymous said...

That limerick rules.

You make teaching English seem like such a blast. we're still not tempted to go back to it though. 加油(jia1 you2)!