It's the first week of my new semester and with that comes 150 brand new students and with that comes 150 new English names for my students. As I met them this week, I found that most of them already have English names - either they have chosen one for themselves or someone has given them one in the past. It is always interesting to see what they come up with and I seem to have some real doozies this semester! I thought I would share some of the most interesting ones with you...by category....
Nature Names:
Moon, Sky, Sunny, Summer
The "lovely bouquet of flower" Names:
Lily, Rose, Iris, Daisy
Animal Names:
Bunny, Rudolf (like the reindeer...that counts as an animal, right?)
Food Names:
Just one this semester - Cherry
Warning! Warning! Continue reading only if you can handle it...this is not for the faint of heart! They get worse from here on out!
"Reminds me of..." Names:
Hermione - Do you think she got the copyright from J.K. Rowling?
Foster - Isn't this the tag-line for some commercial? "Fosters: Australian for Beer."
Attila - the Hun?
Stella - That movie where they yell, "S T E L L A!!!" Oh, what is that??
Lola - Makes me think of Laura's (my sister) orange Volkswagen Beetle named Tony - Lola and Tony have a long history, ya know...at the Copa, Copacabana!
"I'm going to open a dictionary and point at a word" Names:
Bubble, Fairy, Journey, Brush
...and, oh you're going to love this one... KING... yep, I'm serious.
HUH? Names:
Eugenia, NONO, Beata, Najia, Aminta, Imogen, Freyar, and this last one has got to be one of my favorites...Clostrong...HUH??
Now that the initial shock of hearing these names is over, I should be able to keep a straight face when I use them...should being the key word. Hope you enjoyed the Name Game!
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I like Rudolph and Attila!
Imogen was on some movie with Julia Stiles wasn't it?. . not that it really matters hehehe :) but I do agree with the HUH? names hehe
What ever student that does not have a name needs to be called BLORF!
Stella! Comes from the play/movie "A Streetcar Named Desire".
Stella!! Is from "A streetcar named Desire"- an old play/movie
Imogen was from the HORRIBLE movie "Down to You"
Your students watch too many movies...as do I, I suppose!!
(You know I've always been a fan of Lola!)
Happy Leap Year Day!!!
Post a Comment