Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Of All the Charlie Browns, You're the Charlie Browniest!

Yep, I've got Christmas on the mind, especially "A Charlie Brown Christmas!" In fact, this week I am showing "A Charlie Brown Christmas" to all of my classes in hopes that they can get some grasp on the true meaning of Christmas, not just the pink Christmas trees and all of the commercialism....


After watching it three times already this week (with 4 more to go) I just keep thinking about how this show was produced in 1965...over 40 years ago and STILL TODAY commercialism at Christmas-time just takes over. How disappointing... Don't get me wrong, I love the trees, lights, gifts, goodies, etc. but I want to focus on what's really important at Christmas!
Another thing I am doing in my classes this week - listen up, you Ingleby's! - I am carrying on the tradition of reading the "Night Before Christmas" as we do at my grandma and grandpa's each year. We sit in a circle, each with a bag of candy, and my grandma reads the story. Each time she reads the word "AND" we pass the candy one person to the right and each time she reads the word "THE" we pass it one person to the left. Usually, we end up with some candy being thrown across the room when there is a shortage and there is some major bartering at the end if our favorite candy doesn't make its way into our hands. Interestingly enough, these are both Chinese practices, too! My students have caught right on and would fit in well with the Ingleby's. :)
Some other things I've been doing these past few weeks to get ready for Christmas...
* Went to Tianjin International School's Christmas Bazaar (pictured below) to pick up some gifts while my mom was here.


* This past weekend I went to a Christmas program that was hosted by the Special Education Program, a project associated with my organization.
* Jian Hua Foundation, my organization, Christmas party.
* The children's Christmas program at Fellowship - I had to do all I could to not jump out of my seat and help direct it...I guess old habits die hard, huh?
* Christmas cookie baking! We were a regular little cookie factory, churning out at least 12 dozen cookies!


I hope that you are being blessed with many Christmas activities this time of year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Charlie Brown Christmas! I'm so interested in how China experiences Christmas. It sounds like you are bringing a lot of American love and traditions to the students there. I made some sugar cookies this week with my mom and sisters. It looks like you have some good friends there to experience it with. Merry Christmas, Shannnon!

Love,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Shan, I just came to my computer and put on the Charlie Brown Christmas album (by www.freenapster.com). Then I opened up your blog and saw the title of this blog! Great observos think a like eh?!