Saturday, March 13, 2010

I Am Marriageable

One of the requirements of getting married in China is proving that I am, in fact, single in my home country. So yesterday I made the trip to the U.S. Embassy in Beijing to sign an affidavit which proves my marriageability.

Going to the U.S. Embassy is always an experience in itself. The last time I went, for example, Tony was with me...he was trying to get his visa for the states and I was adding more pages to my passport. I was ushered in with a friendly, "Welcome to the Embassy!" while he was thumbed in the direction of a looong line of other Chinese citizens whom also were applying for a visa. I could just see the visions of red, white and blue dancing in their heads as I walked past all of them to the front of the line. Even though it's my Embassy, I still cast my eyes downward in the shame of getting to go in front of all of them, leaving my boyfriend at the back of the line.

This time the process was much the same. I skirted past the line directly into the Embassy and went to the 2nd floor where all of the other American citizens were waiting patiently to be helped. I filled out a form, paid some money for the notary, then had to stand with my right hand raised as I swore that I have never been married before and that I am legally eligible to be married in China. They asked me some questions about Tony and I to be sure that it was legit then they sealed the document and handed it over with an enthusiastic, "Congratulations!" Congratulations...your marriageableness has been legally declared!

2 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Ah, your post brings back memories of when I did the same that summer in 2004. It definitely hits you when the man you love has to go in another line (or simply can't go in altogether -- mine just usually stayed outside).

Look forward to hearing about your 登记!

Anonymous said...

I was having a look around and I've seen your blog.. When I read this article I thought you were talking about me:) I had the same experience when I went to the Italian Consulate! And I clearly remember that when all was done I though "I'm marriageable"!