Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Don't Quit Your Day Job!

A few weeks ago my friend, Natalie, and I went to this HUGE fabric market in Tianjin. It has everything you could possibly want...and more. Originally I was just along for the ride to help Natalie pick out some wool and liners for two coats she was making. But then, I found some wool that I just loved and it was fairly cheap so I decided to get it and I started the designs for my own coat! I picked out the wool, liner and the buttons then went with a Chinese friend to a tailor to have it made. With Natalie and Zhang Zhe's help, we designed the coat and a few weeks later, it was finished. Just like that! The whole coat including materials and labor cost me just about $40 U.S. Can you imagine paying that for a custom-designed winter coat in the U.S!?!?

So, without further ado...my coat!

Deborah, you were close when you guessed bright red! It's different shades of red and, I almost hate to say it...pink! Too bold??

As you can see, I originally put a small "pinch" or "tightener" (help me out, sewing experts!) on the back but I don't really like it now that it's finished so I think I'll take it back to the tailor and exchange it for a belt. What do you think?

The collar can either stand up, like in the picture above, or fold down, like in the picture below.


So, what do you think?? Do I have a new calling in the world of design or should I stick to my day job? Hahaha...don't answer that! I am pretty confident that my future is not in design but it was fun to try it out - thank goodness for Natalie, Zhang Zhe and their expert advice! :)

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

yes, you should start a design company with me!

Anonymous said...

OOOOh- very nice! Can we do that in April!! I would love a new custom coat for $40!! Were you able to watch the inaguration over there? I hope so!

fkgrls said...

I love it! Looks great on you.

Chris and Kelly Simmons said...

that is too cool! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Shannon - Love your coat - I wouldn't get a belt - just something to lose.
Love reading your blog - I get into it weekly to keep up - it's good to get to see more of the world - and now I get to see parts of China through your eyes.
Dean McMullen

Jennifer said...

Shan - I love the coat! Actually, I really like the pinch thing too, but I am sure that I am not getting the whole effect, not being in person! At first, I was expecting a white coat like the one you debated over a few years ago! :)

Anonymous said...

Cute Jacket!