Sunday, November 23, 2008

Pizza and Bunco!

So, those of you who know me well know that I have a "trigger" word - the word that makes me crazily determined to accomplish the task of finding and consuming the aforementioned trigger word. PiZzA. Whenever I hear the word, I instantly am craving pizza! I think that the longer I live in China, the more this craving lessens because my tastes are changing but there is still nothing like a good, cheesy pizza! There are more and more pizza places in Tianjin - Pizza Hut, Papa Johns (yeah, seriously!) and then the local chains - Pizza Hill, Pizza Box and the strangest one, Mr. Pizza whose slogan is "Pizza for Women" or something stupid like that...I've refused to let myself ponder what they may be implying... Even with these options it's still way easier and cheaper to eat Chinese food so that's what I usually stick to. Also, ordering a pizza to be delivered is something I have not yet attempted (due to my lack of language) and so these factors decrease my temptation to eat pizza. I have a new oven, though, which allows me to make pizza at home so the other night I tried it out and it was so good! I cooked with a Chinese friend who had never made pizza before and as we walked through the market to pick out meat and veggies for toppings, I used my power of veto (since, you know, I am a professional...) and said no to such toppings as pumpkin, cucumber, shrimp, cucumber again, and a whole roasted chicken... :)


Another fun pizza night came last week as well when I had all the ladies from my organization over for a pizza and Bunco night. Bunco is this crazily fun dice game where you are constantly switching partners, switching rooms and yelling directions in between all of this. We had a good evening - here's a picture of one of the groups hanging out in my bedroom.


Bye for now! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one word for your pizza craving....Zeno's.
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Zeno's...now that's my trigger word! I am now longing for a Zeno's taco pizza...ahhh!

Shellcomber said...

Hi Shannon, I'm teaching English in TJ too. Did you make the dough from scratch or was it store-bought? Where do you find yeast/pre-made dough?